Good Morning Everyone!
Metabolic Training. It’s the most effective way to burn fat, gain lean muscle and increase your sensitivity to some very important hormones. If you didn’t get the chance to read about the hormones I’m referring to, you can find them in the first 3 emails of the Fat Loss series on the Grapevine under “Weight Loss 101”. Metabolic Training, also known as High Intensity Interval Training (H.I.I.T.) is a workout where you perform 20sec – 1min of hard work (strength or cardio exercises), exerting 75-85% of your maximum effort/energy, followed by 20sec – 1min of recovery.
- Fat Loss and the After Burn!! The After Burn is scientifically known as the Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption, aka EPOC. H.I.I.T. training sessions force the body to work harder to build its oxygen stores back up for a period of 10-12 hours after the workout (depending on how hard and how long your workout was, your EPOC can last up to 20 hours). The result is more calories/fat burned while you go about your day!
- Saves Time: These workouts should take no longer than 15 – 30min depending on how hard you choose to work and how much rest you choose to take.
- No Equipment Required: H.I.I.T. workouts can be done effectively with just bodyweight exercises which means you can work out ANYWHERE!!
- Improved cardiovascular capacity: Anaerobic exercise increases your V02 max- maximal oxygen uptake. One of the many benefits of having a high VO2 max is, your muscles will be able to receive oxygenated blood quicker and more efficiently which gives them the ability to meet the demands of your workout.
- Improved Mental Focus: Focuses your Pulmonary, Cardiovascular, and Neurological systems
Anyone can do Metabolic Training…Really!!
Getting the most out of a H.I.I.T. workout does NOT mean you have to jump, sprint at 10mph on the treadmill or perform complicated exercises. Getting the most out of a H.I.I.T. workout means you are working as hard as YOU can for that 20sec – 1min. Below is a short article about 5 Metabolic Training Myths which explains some of the safest ways to perform H.I.I.T.
Metabolic Training Workouts:
- P90X3: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x3-workout.do
- T25: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/focus-t25-workout.do
- Fitness Blender: http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/full-length-workouts/?type=38&time_min=&time_max=&cal_min=&cal_max
How many times a week should/can you do a Metabolic Training Workout?
- 2-3 times weekly and you should always have a rest day in between workouts. For clarification, your rest day does not have to be activity free. You can go for a long walk or jog, play tennis, take a yoga or pilates class…just avoid doing intense intervals 2 days in a row J.
Below are some great resources if you’re interested in learning more about Metabolic Training:
Yours in Health and Wellness,
Meredith and Brian